What were your top 5 favorite toys as a child?
There is little doubt that I was an 80’s kid. Limiting my favorite to just five was no easy task. My favorite toys smack of classic 80’s… and there were a lot of great toys released then.
- Becky Bear- This one probably has you going “huh?” and with good reason. Becky Bear was a basic teddy bear dressed in a nurse’s outfit that I received from my best friend for my 7th birthday. I named her Becky, because my friend’s name was Becky. Over time, she lost her outfit and became a naked brown bear. I still have her nearly 30 years later… though she has had a bit of a sex change and is now the Prince’s Bobby Bear.
- Nintendo- My parents loved video games. They would get into marathon gaming sessions that only ended because it was time to go to work! The Nintendo system was a big deal upgrade from Atari and we all spent hours playing. Though I ultimately lack my parents’ skills in video gaming, I still cherish the memories of time spent battling it out and solving puzzles together.
- Cabbage Patch Kids- I am still told of the trials and tribulations of acquiring Cabbage Patch Dolls for my sister and I. That was one big deal Christmas for us. My parents, always the gifting overachievers, managed to procure not one but two dolls for each of us. We each got a regular female doll and split a set of male preemie twins. We were so excited!
- Get in Shape Girl- Chubby girls everywhere rejoiced when this series of toys came out… complete with legwarmers and pink workout equipment. I had the ballet set.
- Care Bears- I am pretty sure everyone remembers Care Bears. I had Tenderheart and Share Bear. I also had Lottsa Heart, the Care Bear cousin.
Add to this My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Roller Racers, Strawberry Shortcake, Teddy Ruxpin, Pound Puppies, Popples… the list could go on and on. We just had so many great toys and many are still going strong, in one form or another, today.
What were your favorite toys as a child?