I received the following free or discounted in the hopes that I would share my honest opinion
I had heard many great things about coconut oil, but had not yet taken the plunge to try it. When the opportunity arose to review Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil, I jumped at the chance.
When I first opened the bottle, I could smell the lovely light scent of coconut. The oil itself is also very light. It almost looked like a very light, whipped shortening.
I decided to swap any oil I usually used for cooking with the coconut oil. My first experiment was with hashbrowns. I usually fry them in vegetable or canola oil. I was able to cook at my usual temperature without any of the smoking I usually see from the vegetable oils. They came out perfectly browned. I expected to taste an over-powering coconut flavor on my potatoes, but it turned out to be a barely-there light flavor. There was none of the usual oiliness that I usually had when frying potatoes… or anything else for that matter.
Another great experiment was with Morningstar Farms Chick Patties. I have prepared them in numerous way ranging from baked to fried, but they have never tasted as amazing as they did in the coconut oil. It added an unexpected boost of flavor that accented the chicken-like flavor of the patties perfectly. My occasionally picky son ate twice his usual portion and even my non-vegetarian husband enjoyed them!
Overall, I primarily used the oil for cooking purposes, but I was impressed enough with the experiment that I look forward to exploring its myriad of other uses.
Pros: Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil is very versatile, with a myriad of uses and benefits throughout your day. The flavor is light and tasty… adding flavor and nutrition to every dish.
Cons: If you are not a fan of the flavor of coconut, you may have some difficulty adjusting to the taste… good thing it’s not just for eating! In some areas Tropical Traditions may be difficult to find, but you can order it online.
Coconut oil, derived from the fresh “meat” of a coconut, is affordable, readily available and completely natural. Tropical Traditions premium virgin coconut oil is handcrafted by family producers in the Philippines using traditional methods passed down from previous generations. They were the first ones to export virgin coconut oil from the Philippines to the United States back in 2001. Recent studies show that traditionally-made coconut oils have the highest amounts of antioxidants. You can read much more on the process of making virgin coconut oil here.
Coconut oil can be used in many ways. Just a few ideas you may not have thought of:
- Moisturizer/ Massage Oil- Rub into your skin as you would any lotion or oil.
- Eye Cream- Can reduce puffiness under the eyes.
- Lip Moisturizer- Use like a lip balm. It even has a natural SPF of 4!
- Bug Bites- Can ease the itch of bites.
- Insect Repellent- Combine with peppermint oil extract for an effective, natural big buster.
- Remove Sticky Messes- Replace you “Goo Gone” with a mixture of equal parts coconut oil and baking soda to aid in removing stickers and other sticky messes.
- Oh… and cooking, of course! Replace your usual oil or butter with an equal amount of coconut oil. Head over here for some amazing recipes from Tropical Traditions, including roast chicken, mayonnaise, ketchup, desserts, candy, and even hot cocoa!